How To Add A Family (Detailed Method)
- Create one or more accounts for the family using Main Menu > Account > Add New.
If the family has an email address, enter it in the email field. Otherwise, you will have to make up a non-email account name to enter in the email field.
The convention for family account descriptions is mother's name/father's name.
- Add the family members using Main Menu > People > Add New. To save time, fill in only the name information here and use the Directory Wizard later to fill in the contact information.
- Create a new family using Main Menu > Group > Add New. The group name should be the student's last name followed by "Family", and the description should be the parents' names separated by a '/', but first-name first rather than last-name first. Be sure to set the group type to Family.
Example name: Smith Family
Example description: Janet Jones/Richard Smith
The description is used to help distinguish between multiple Smith families.
- After you click on "Add" to create the new family, click on "Associate Accounts" in the accounts section and "Add Members" in the members section to connect all the pieces. If you created the accounts, the people, and the group for this family in the same login session, the accounts and people will automatically appear in the pick lists unless you have explicitly removed them.
IMPORTANT: Family members must be associated with the family as follows:Role
Guardian Position Mother1-2 Father2-1 Child00
- Click on the "Directory Wizard" link in the "Edit Family Details" to finish filling in the family contact information.
- If you need an individual's physical address to be different than the family address, you will need to use Main Menu > People > List/Search to locate and edit their information after you have submitted any family address changes in the Directory Wizard.
Note: You cannot change the type of a group after it has been created. If you accidentally create the wrong type of group, you will have to delete it and create a new one.
Separated ParentsIf parents are separated or divorced, create two single-parent families, each having their own account. Associate the mother with one, the father with the other, and the children with both. Do not create separate sets of children for the two families.
NOTE: Both parents have equal status within the system, and a Directory Wizard address edit by either parent to their associated family will be applied to all of the children. Those parents at a "secondary" address are better off using the Group and People editing pages rather than the combined Directory Wizard.